Volunteer with The Avalon Foundation
Become a part of our dedicated team of volunteers and make a difference in the lives of children across the country. At The Avalon Foundation, we are passionate about youth-centered leadership development and providing support to families affected by rare diseases. Join us in our mission to bring hope and joy to pediatric patients and their families during life-changing transitions. Together, we can create a brighter future for our children.
Find out what it’s all about- volunteer opportunities for all ages:
- What’s it about? Bring the entire family together by volunteering to wrap gifts for a #PainBox. Our patients feel the love after opening an incentive after their shots to celebrate their success! We provide all the wrapping supplies and will coordinate drop off and pick up. No special skills are needed, and we love that kids do most of the wrapping, in fact we ask that at least 1 child participates with the wrapping!
- Time commitment: We will reach out to you to see if your family is available to wrap – if it’s not a good time for your family we will check back at another time! You will have a couple of days to complete the wrapping.
- Who can help: This is a great activity for the entire family, especially for those with younger children that would like to participate. We ask for at least one child to be involved and supervised by a parent.
Adult Shopping Mentor:
- What’s it about? Great way for adults to connect with our youth board by becoming an adult shopping mentor for our #PainBox Program. You will mentor the shopping team at one of our local Target Stores to help guide and mentor to help ensure the process is being followed. You will guide them through the shopping process, get them to think outside the box, and assist with their budgeting skills. Training is provided and it is always a rewarding and uplifting experience to see our local youth developing their leadership skills.
- Time commitment: We post the shopping trips on Band, and you let us know your availability. We form shopping teams on an as-needed basis when patient families reach out to us. The average shopping trip takes approximately 2 hours from meet-up to check-out.
- Who can help: Adults 18 years and older
- What’s it about? Come join our shopping team leader and the shopping mentor as you work as a team to learn about our patients and gather incentives for their PainBox. You will meet at a local Target to help shop for the #PainBox as you share your care and compassion for others.
- Time commitment: Shopping trips will be posted on Band, and you can join if it works into your schedule. The shopping trips generally take an average of two hours.
- Who can help: Youth from ages 10-17 are welcome to join the team. This is a fun and rewarding way to work towards completing your service hours. We ask that children under the age of 10 be accompanied by an adult but are welcome to join and help.
Writing/Card Support to Patients
- What’s it about? Patients and families love to receive cards from The Avalon Foundation. Supporting patients and families at the start of treatment as well as during their journey is so important and a special way for us to connect with them. This is another great way to bring the family together or a child can participate individually. Blank cards of support are supplied; you add the heart-warming touch!
- Time commitment: Flexible on your time. We do ask that you commit to engaging with a patient’s family throughout their journey.
- Who can help: Individuals of all ages. We ask that younger children work with a parent or guardian.